Highlands War site is remote and primitive.
Remoteness gives us more freedom in how our event is managed. For example, we can to play drums as long as we’d like (but some camp-wide suggested “quiet hours” are published in the gatebook).
But with the freedom comes added responsibility. Atenveldt Youth rules ARE in effect – keep track of your children.
MINORS ATTENDING WITH PARENTS OR LEGAL GUARDIANS:
Every minor under the age of 18 who is attending Highlands War with their parent or legal guardian must file an SCA MINOR WAIVER at the site front gate when they arrive at the event, OR the minor must be listed as an attendee on a FAMILY MINOR WAIVER filed with the site front gate when the family enters the event. This form is pre printed and ready for your signature when you arrive if you and the minors are pre-registered.
Both of these minor waiver forms may be downloaded as PDF files and completed ahead of time. (You will need Adobe Reader on your system to download and print them.) Alternately, you can get copies of the forms at the site front gate and complete them when you arrive at the site. These forms do not need to be notarized.
MINORS ATTENDING WITHOUT THEIR PARENTS:
Minors (those under the age of 18) may attend Highlands War with a temporary guardian appointed by their parent/legal guardian for the duration of the event if they also bring TWO (2) copies of the TWO (2) documents explained below to the event with them. One of these copies will be retained by the SCA at the site front gate; and the original must be retained by the temporary guardian/minor during the event. The two required forms are:
- A notarized TEMPORARY GUARDIANSHIP FORM (ARIZONA VERSION) designating who is responsible for the minor. This form must be downloaded, printed, notarized, and signed by the parent or legal guardian before you leave home, and must also contain the parent(s) contact information.
Be aware that other states (SCA Kingdoms) may use a different TEMPORARY GUARDIANSHIP FORM than the Arizona version used in the Kingdom of Atenveldt. If the minor lives outside of the State of Arizona, check with the Seneschal of the local SCA group where the minor resides to get the proper TEMPORARY GUARDIANSHIP FORM for that State, Province or Country. In all cases, the form you present when you arrive at Highlands War must be completely filled out (including any required notary information) and signed by the parent or legal guardian of the minor before you leave home.
- A notarized MEDICAL AUTHORIZATION FOR MINORS FORM for the minor. This form must also be downloaded, printed, notarized, and signed by the parent or legal guardian before you leave home.
MINORS CURFEW AND PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
Highlands War camp curfews require that:
- Minors 15 and under must be in their own camp or escorted by an adult from 10 PM to 5 AM.
- Minors 16 to 18 years old must be in their own camp or escorted by an adult from Midnight to 5 AM.
Parents and temporary guardians will be held responsible for the minor’s behavior at Highlands War, and should be familiar with the “Kingdom of Atenveldt Policy for Addressing Transgressions by Minors at SCA Events” as well as these event rules:
- Everyone under 12 must wear their youth token at all times.
- When a minor child is found un-accompanied and endangered, a report will be filed with the war staff & security, and local law enforcement agencies will be notified when it is deemed necessary.
- Any child found unattended in a closed vehicle or tent during the day will be ‘rescued’. In Arizona, vehicles interiors can quickly reach lethal temperatures.
LINKS FOR ATTENDING WITH MINORS
- SCA Minor Waiver
- Family Minor Waive
- Temporary Guardianship Form (Arizona Version)
- Medical Authorization For Minors Form